Uber Discussion Group

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Uber Discussion Group

The Uber Discussion Group (UDG) is an online forum where people across all walks of life can discuss a wide spectrum of issues. Issues can be from any field which depends on users personal interest, for ex: Politics, Sports, Science, etc.

3 posters

Difference between Unix and Linux?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Difference between Unix and Linux? Empty Difference between Unix and Linux?

Post  Admin Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Can anyone tell the fundamental difference between UNIX and Linux? I have recently installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL5) on VMWARE and found it interesting but I there was one nagging question - How are UNIX and Linux different architecturally? Also, there is a terminal in every linux distro which accepts the UNIX commands. Does it mean that UNIX is an integral part of linux? Anyway, here are some screenshots of RHEL desktop running on VMWARE 6.

Login Screen
    Difference between Unix and Linux? Lin110

Desktop
    Difference between Unix and Linux? Lin210

Terminal
    Difference between Unix and Linux? Lin310
    desert.sandy
    desert.sandy

Difference between Unix and Linux? Empty Re: Difference between Unix and Linux?

Post  desert.sandy Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm

as to my knowledge UNIX is a licensed one unlike linux

more info @ http://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Unix

Rajesh

Difference between Unix and Linux? Empty My take

Post  Rajesh Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Unix and Linux doesn't differ much in the functionality that they offer. They both have some features that are common and some others that differ. Both of them are used as servers to serve client requests. I haven't found any comprehensive article that stated the differences, but there are some differences that I have noted and thereby learned and would like to share over here,

1) UNIX is an Open Group specification while Linux is an Open Source kernel designed for an Open Source UNIX clone: Gnu/Linux.

2) The source code is not freely available for any of the commercial versions of UNIX. Quite the opposite exists for Linux.

3) Table 1. Filesystems that come standard with UNIX versions
    AIX jfs, gpfs
    HP-UX hfs, vxfs
    Solaris ufs, zfs
    Irix xfs

Linux, however, supports almost all of the filesystems that are currently available on any operating system.

4) The Linux versions tend to be based on the GNU version of these tools, whereas the current UNIX versions are based on the original UNIX tools.

5) System Startup Scripts

Almost every version of UNIX and Linux comes with system initialization script but they are located in different directories:

HP-UX - /sbin/init.d
    AIX - /etc/rc.d/init.d
    Linux - /etc/init.d

I would like to see if anyone further adds any new points from here.

Rajesh Manne
    Very Happy

Sponsored content

Difference between Unix and Linux? Empty Re: Difference between Unix and Linux?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm